Many rescues have taken place off the shore of Hastings. In 1830, two gold medals were awarded for gallantary. In 1857 a sailing boat and all her crew were lost off the coast of Hastings. This tragedy led to a fund being set up in order to raise enough to supply a local lifeboat, which when purchased was stored in a boathouse at Rock-A-Nore – not too far away from the present location.
1858 – RNLI established a lifeboat station
1882 – A new boathouse was built for the sum of £650
1904 - A Silver Medal was awarded to Alfred Stonham for saving the Master of the fishing boatWilliam and Maria
1940 - The lifeboat Cyril and Lilian Bishop took part in the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk
1943 – Bronze Medals were awarded to Coxswain John E Muggeridge and Mechanic WR Hilder for the rescue of seven men from HM Trawler Caulonia. Four Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellums were also awarded
1958 - A Centenary Vellum was awarded to the station
1964 - An inshore lifeboat (ILB) station was established with a D class lifeboat
1965 – Framed Letters of Thanks were awarded to Mechanic JH Martin and Police Sergeant S Ferguson who rescued a man from the water
1967 – Framed Letters of Thanks were awarded to Mechanic JH Martin and W Adams who rescued four people from two capsized sailing boats
1972 – Framed Letters of Thanks were awarded to ILB Crew Members R Shoesmith, C Green and K Ronchetti for assisting a man who had fallen over cliffs. Letters of Appreciation were awarded to seven other crew members
1975 – A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic John Martin and a Bronze Medal to Second Coxswain George White for the rescue of three crew from the fishing vessel Simon Peter. Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellums were awarded to the six other members of the lifeboat crew.
A Silver Medal was awarded to Dr Peter Davy who broke seven ribs while being lifted into a helicopter from the lifeboat and, although in great pain, continued to go to the aid of an injured man on board the Argentinian warship Candido de Lasala.
1985 - A Bronze Medal was awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic John Martin for the rescue of a sick crew member from the Irish container ship Bell Rover.
Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellums were awarded to Helmsman Christopher Cooper and Crew Members Graham Furness and Steven Martin for the rescue of a boy cut off by the tide.
1987 - The Oakley class lifeboat was withdrawn and replaced by a Mersey class lifeboat.
1991- The Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Assistant Mechanic David John Curtis for his actions during the rescue of the sole occupant and the yacht Ngalawa. A Framed Letter of Thanks was awarded to Coxswain Fred White.
1995- A new boathouse was built providing housing for the Mersey class lifeboat, launching tractor and D class lifeboat.
1998 – A new D class lifeboat Cecile Rampton II was placed on service on 4 October.
2007 – Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum awarded to Senior Helmsman Simon Hodgson for his actions during the rescue of a swimmer in heavy seas. Vellum Service Certificates also awarded to Helmsman Sloane Philips and Crewmember Glenn Barry
At Hastings lifeboat station the following awards have been made:
Framed Letter of Thanks 8
Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum 15
Bronze Medal 4
Silver Medal 3